Friday Five #40
Ah – the big 4-0. It seems Friday Five has gone over the hill. Good thing we never run out of new and amazing awesome to show you! Think of it this way – after 40 weeks, we just have more experience and resourcefulness in finding the most inspiring work out there to brighten the end of your week.
As a side note – we totally apologize for leaving you hanging last week, since Chase and I were chillin’ on the beach in Maui. Our vacation was the stuff dreams are made of, and we can’t wait to show you all the amazing photos and tell you about the ideas we had while we were away. We all know that sometimes taking a vacation and getting away from your routine is the best course to fantastically fresh ideas. And it was just that!
This week our finds are all to do with fun, humor, and a light-hearted escape from the real world. So with that, here are our favorite links, an inspiring quote, and a wish that your weekend would be like a mini-vacation. See you on Monday!
1. The Wit of Stephen Wildish - From his own bio: “Stephen Wildish is an Artist, Designer and Illustrator who has a habit of collecting and ordering things (Glasses, Sweets, Shopping bags, Eyebrows and Wheel Covers) and then presenting them to you in an easily digestible viewing experience. Take two tablets of Stephen’s art twice a day until symptoms subside.” His wit and clean design aesthetic are enough to cure any ill! (and be sure to visit his redbubble shop to order a poster or t-shirt of your own!)
2. Travel Posters for Lazy People - While we’re on the subject of wit-tastic graphic design, let’s discuss this awesome series by H. Caldwell Tanner. These posters capture all the great design aspects of those vintage travel posters for Pan Am, but this time, you won’t have to urge to leave your house. When travelling the untold worlds of Skyrim, Hulu and your refridgerator, these posters are all the demotivation you need. (via Visual News)
3. Holi Festival of Colors - Every year in celebration of spring, the Hindi people throw brightly colored powder on each other and literally paint the town red (and blue and purple, etc). This incredible video by filmmaker Devin Graham shows just how amazing this festival is, and you simply have to witness it for yourself (and I mean fullscreen in HD!) I definitely it’s time the everyone joined in the festivities of the world’s BIGGEST color party (via Huffington post).
4. Caine’s DIY Arcade - One kid and a bunch of cardboard in his dad’s used auto-parts store created an elaborately fantastic arcade. I, for one, applaud this boy’s sense of fun and creative ambition to see this project through – it’s the stuff that childhood is all about. But the truly uplifting part of this story happened when Caine’s cardboard arcade was noticed by filmmaker Nirvan Mullick. It inspired what must be the world’s greatest flashmob, and it changed Caine’s dream forever. (via thisiscolossal)
5. And here’s our quote for the week (or rather, artist’s principle):